You must do the things you think you cannot do.
~
Eleanor Roosevelt

Saturday, April 28, 2012

A Great Accomplishment

Last night was Accomplishment Night for one of our homeschool co-ops. It's an opportunity to showcase any talent or special thing the kids may have learned during the year.

One of the moms is a former music teacher and she agreed to take on the entire K-5 group and teach them two songs to perform.

Shane went to every practice and even participated. Come show time, however, he wanted no part of it. Since the evening's performance wasn't resulting in guaranteed entry to the university of his choice, I gave him a pass.

I told him to make his saddest face...pretty darn sad, isn't it?

 My other two littles are major hams so they were quite happy to perform

After the long ceremony of endless piano recitals, we had the opportunity to take a look at other families' displays and portfolios. This included everything from writing samples to arts and crafts the kids did during the year.

Apparently I work better with a really short deadline because I couldn't think of what to bring for the kids. Does anyone really want to look at our Latin worksheets and mapwork???

Around 9 that morning, I decided that we should showcase photos of all the cool stuff we did all year. As a result of scouts and the extracurricular stuff I force them to do they do, they had an impressive list of  cool stuff to share.

So I spent a couple of hours going through 100's of photos and downloading them to be printed at WalMart. We headed out to a birthday party. After that I picked up the pictures and hustled home to create our display, finishing with 15 minutes to spare.

The white space on the middle panel is the list of scout accomplishments, field trips and special events they participated in.

It was well received and I felt only slightly inadequate as a homeschool mom after seeing what everyone else accomplished during the year. The kids really enjoyed the little trip down memory lane so I think it's something we'll continue to do.

I almost forgot...apparently I looked pretty rough by the end of the evening. One of the dads was standing in the dessert line behind me, and I turned around to say hi. He took one look at me and said, 'wow, you look really tired.' Um, thanks for noticing...I think.

Other than that, it was a  pretty swell evening.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails