You must do the things you think you cannot do.
~
Eleanor Roosevelt

Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Trail Run with my boys

The Maryland winter continues to be freakishly mild. I'm definitely not complaining, and we're taking advantage of the warmer temps every chance we get.

Sunday was of course Super Bowl Sunday, and I knew I was going to eat more than my fair share. The temps were in the low to mid 40's but the sun was shining. Perfect running weather if you ask me.

Everyone needs a big brother to annoy them

I've been dying to do some running at nearby Gathland State Park on the AT,and I figured Sunday was as good a day as any to get started. We did have a little snow mixed with rain on Saturday so I figured the trails would be a little muddy but not bad. And I was right, though Hank was sure he was going to disappear into a mud pit so he ran as close to the edge as he could for most of it.

Pretty, isn't it?

 Bill doesn't like for me to run in woods alone so I talked Hank and Jake into going with me. Since this run would be over and above my training plan, my plan was to take it very easy and just have fun which would be perfect for the boys since neither has done much running lately.

My and my favorite 9 y/o

We walked up the mountain as our warm up, and once we hit relatively flat ground, we started running. Our average running pace was around 11-11:30 m/m which is really slow for Hank but fine for me. Like a lot of kids, he doesn't pace himself well so he'd run a little too fast, get winded, take a break and then take off again.

To have just a fraction of that energy!


He ate a bowl of spaghetti before running (gross, I know) so he got a side stitch and ended up running most of the way back with me. Hank's skinny, chicken legs were underdressed and cold so we agreed that next time he should wear sweats, but otherwise we couldn't have asked for a better run.


All told we ran 3 miles and had a blast. I'd love for us to be able to do this each Sunday afternoon.

3 comments:

Kara said...

How fun! I loved running on the AT during the JFK 50. I wished I lived close enough to run on it more often. It's great that you run with your kids!

misszippy said...

So great! And so pretty there. I've been running a bit every Sunday with one or both kids. They both want to do a 5k in late March so this is their "training."

Laima said...

That is pretty. I'm loving the mild winter here in Illinois also:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails