You must do the things you think you cannot do.
~
Eleanor Roosevelt

Thursday, September 08, 2011

3 Things Thursday- Juggling Edition

I don't know if I'm coming or going lately, and I can't imagine how much busier I could possibly be before I spontaneously combust


1.Outdoorsy Things - We just spent 3 days at Rocky Gap with a 100 of our closest friends. On Sunday the heavens opened up and it rained. A.Lot. Everything we own is hanging/set up in the basement with box fans blowing it all dry.
Next Week Hank and I will camp in an open field (no showers, only porto pots) for 2 nights with a bunch of Webelos and Boy Scouts. I hope it doesn't rain.
My first triathlon is the weekend after that. I need to swim, bike and run more often than I have been.

2. Homeschool - Last year I taught *maybe* 3 classes for our co-op, the whole year. This year... I get to teach history and literature to K-5th graders for two 9-week quarters AND PE to 4th - 5th graders for two 8-week semesters. Two separate co-ops. I'm teaching subjects I love so I'm not worried about that. It's just that I'm a compulsive perfectionist so my lesson planning consumes my life...or at least what's left of my life when my other obligations have finished devouring me.

3. Volunteering - We enjoy Cub Scouts. It really fits what we like to do as a family...be outdoors and teach our kids reverence to God as well as service in the community. But this time of year Cub Scouts has tons of stuff going on. Tons. And in a small Pack with just a small handful of active parents, there is a lot of work to do.

I agreed to serve on the Board of our youth athletic association earlier this summer. It was supposed to be a small, easy to manage role as 1 of 2 financial secretaries. Then the other FS stepped down. Then the treasurer stepped down. And I don't know beans about Quickbooks or online banking. And it is requiring more than the 1-2 hours per week they told me. And we're getting ready to open the floodgates of fall registration.

It's a little overwhelming right now. Especially with triathlon training hanging over me and the ever-present threat of re-injury.

If you've read this far, you earn a gold star. I blathered all this more to just vent a bit as well as write it out so I can look more closely at what I'm doing and possibly re-evaluate it all, particularly #3.

I'm painfully aware that I'm human and can only do so much. I guess my 'problem' is that I hate to disappoint people and want them to think well of me (or at least as highly as I think of myself, which is often too highly).

And it's a fine line between persevering through hard things and knowing when to throw in the towel.

Fun stuff on a Thursday. Must be the rain and lack of sleep!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails