You must do the things you think you cannot do.
~
Eleanor Roosevelt

Sunday, February 06, 2011

Stretch and Strengthen your Trunk and Pelvis

This is installment 2 of my stretch and strengthen exercises for my hip and IT band. These are all for your trunk or core and your pelvis.  I said it just a couple of times in my first post so you might have missed it, but you want to be careful to *not* arch your back in these.

Pages 2 and 3. We're going to be looking more closely at page 2 though


Watch your lower back with this one.

These next two are mentioned as core strengthening exercises in Chi Running, pages 74-75

Author Danny Dreyer describes this one as an advanced version of the exercise above. If you become proficient at this one, he suggests having someone sit on your stomach while doing it. Yea, that'll be me. ha!

For this one, I stand in front of the mirror so that I can practice standing with my pelvis in the neutral position during the relax phase. I didn't realize just how much I arch my lower back until I looked at myself sideways in the mirror while trying to stand with my pelvis neutral.

For this one, you want to keep your lower back flat. Engage your core while keeping your glutes relaxed

After completing these, I alternate planks and push ups until I've done 5 planks and 50 pushups.  Before I became an injured slug, I was able to hold a plank for 1:30-45. Not great but not completely horrible. After almost 2 months of only sporadic core work, I'm lucky to hold it for a minute. As I get stronger, I'll increase the planks in number and duration.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and have no formal training (of any kind, not just medical). What I have posted should not be considered medical advice. If you are injured please visit your dr. I am simply relaying information that was given to me for my particular injury and rehabilitation.

1 comment:

Caratunk Girl said...

Good luck getting better. Those are some good exercises for sure! I have been doing most of those to strengthen my hip.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails