You must do the things you think you cannot do.
~
Eleanor Roosevelt

Friday, January 15, 2010

Wannabe a Fit Mommy

Getting back into shape has been on my To Do list for a few years, and this past summer I decided it was time to work on it. I turned 40 in April and realized the only direction I'll continue to grow is out, not up. Soooo it was time for a change.

I found a running program online called Couch to 5K, printed the schedule and began. Then I decided I'd better enter a race so I would stay motivated. I finished that race faster than I thought I would (it was still very slow, but I beat my goal), and entered two more races after that.

I've only lost 5 or 6 pounds in the process, but I love the sense of accomplishment when I run. I recently managed to run 5 miles after being stuck at 4 miles for a couple of months. It was such an incredible feeling!

So why am I telling all of you nice people about this? Well, one of my fellow TOS Crew mates has begun a Fit Mommy meme for each Friday. Each participant chooses a fitness level and sets exercise and nutrition goals. I figure that if I tell everyone about, I am much more likely to stick to it and meet my goals. (Fear of man can work to your advantage sometimes, ya know.) :)

I chose Fitness Level Two because I am definitely not an advanced person (mentally or physically!).

Level Two: The Intermediate level. This level is for those who are already exercising at least 3 times per week on a regular basis. Goals here might include one additional 20-30 min workout each day/week, or incorporating a new exercise or tool (kettle bells, stability ball, bands, dumbbells) into your fitness routine, etc. It should also include some sort of nutritional goal.

My fitness goal for this year is to run two half marathons- one in May and the other in October. On Monday I started Hal Higdon's Half Marathon novice training program. After looking more closely at the program I decided to skip the first two weeks and start at week three. I've been able to run 4 miles for a couple of months so I didn't want lose my momentum.

My nutritional goals are simple: (1) drink more water, and (2) eat fewer potato chips. I *love* potato chips... the delicious crunch, the tang of the salt. Happiness, I tell ya. SO I'm limiting myself to one serving a day, and will try to whittle that down to no servings except for special occasions.

Alright so what did I do this week?
Fitness-
SATURDAY: 5 miles on the treadmill
SUNDAY: Stretched and upper body weights (don't be impressed, we're talking little 5 pound hand weights, folks)
MONDAY: 3 miles on the treadmill
TUESDAY: 2 miles on the treadmill
WEDNESDAY: rest
THURSDAY: 3.5 miles on the treadmill and upper and lower body weights (I used 10 pound hand weights this time and my butt and legs are still store)
FRIDAY: 30 minutes on the bike, 15 (girlie) push ups and 40 sit ups

Nutrition-
I didn't really keep track, but I can tell you that I didn't drink enough water, and I ate too many chips. We'll try again next week. :) True confession time- I munched chips while writing this! No self control here!

So there you have it. Head over to Denise's blog and see what other Fit Mommies are doing!

8 comments:

Michelle Smith said...

Tracy, you did great! Wow, you like to run. I don't think I could run that far; I'm so out of shape. How did you get into running and what keeps you motivated?

*~*~* Tracy said...

Thanks for your encouragement, Michelle! I ran in high school and kept running until my late 20's. I didn't have as much free time so I stopped. When I started again this summer, I could barely run a quarter of a mile without almost keeling over. It just took time and practice. What motivates me? I want to be healthy because I have 3 young kids (and 1 older one). I also actually enjoy it. :)

Heidi said...

Tracy,

That's great! Building up to 5 miles from 1/4 mile in such a short time is a fabulous accomplishment!

Mrs. White said...

I am so impressed with you!! Wow!! Great job!

I eat chips all the time. It is a required food group for me!

I used to run in track (in school) and loved it. My older brother and I used to get up before the sun (in the summer time) and just run. I should probably try that again. I enjoyed it so much.

I recently ran around the local public school track with three of my children. Only one of them made it to the end with me. It must of been quite a sight to see me in a long skirt and barefoot, running around that track!! (I couldn't run in my heels, now could I? And I hate sneakers.)


Blessings
Mrs. White

Heather said...

Thanks for writing about your beginning steps! I love the idea of couch to 5k:) I am signing up for a 4k (just walk) in an adjacent town--it is in March...the group that sponsors it does 5-10ks, 1/2 marathons, etc, so I'm thinking this may be a way to get motivated and meet some new non-couch potato people! My two 15 yr. olds have done a 10k, and we were just starting to participate more when we moved. Your post really reinforces that this is a good direction to go!PS: I'm copying your exercise list from this week to encourage me.

The Crazy Mom said...

Wow, do I feel lamo! I literally cannot run to the end of my block, and I have a very short block, only five houses! And, no, they are not spread out!

Well, I'm in some good company as everyone seems to be really doing well!!!

*~*~* Tracy said...

CrazyMom don't you dare feel lame! We all started somewhere. The idea is to make progress from *your* starting point, and you have so you should be proud of yourself! :)

Annie Kate said...

Wow, you've done amazing. I love your goals. They are so inspiring and motivating. A real mom actually running races. Way to go!

Annie Kate

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails