You must do the things you think you cannot do.
~
Eleanor Roosevelt

Friday, January 22, 2010

Fit Mommy Saturday

Technically it's Fit Mommy Friday, but my workout week ends with my long run on Saturday so my adoring fans will need to wait to until Saturday afternoon to see if I survived my long run each week.

And if you're sitting around with nothing to do, you can click the Fit Mommy label at the bottom of this post to see all (2 so far) of my posts related to this and check my progress.

Ok, to recap my goals - 2 half marathons in a year, drink more water, eat fewer potato chips. Easy peasy, right?

I've just completed Week 4 of Hal Higdon's Novice Half Marathon training plan. I'll just tell you up front, it was an awful week for working out. I don't know... I just felt funky and blah. The weather was nice earlier in the week so I did make it outside for a couple of runs, but nothing seemed to click and I struggled with each workout. Some weeks are like that though so I'll keep plugging away.

Alright, so what did I accomplish?
  • Monday - 3.6 miles on the road. The route I run is pretty hilly so it was a good workout

  • Tuesday - 2 miles on the road. Same hills, but I felt like I was slogging through mud on this run which was really discouraging.

  • Wednesday - This is my 'rest' day, but it was a looong day. After our homeschool co-op I had errands to run, and we didn't get home until almost 7pm. Not very restful.

  • Thursday - 3.5 miles on the treadmill. This was torture. I don't particularly enjoy the treadmill...that coupled with the fact that I had to stop a couple of times because Shane was sneaking allergy food and hiding to eat it AND opening the very hot wood stove by himself, made it even more challenging.

  • Friday - I was supposed to do 40 minutes of cross training which for me is the bike, but I needed to save my legs for Saturday so I only did 20 minutes and a few pushups just cause.

  • Saturday - My first "Club Run" with the running group I joined. I like training alone, but I joined the club because members get a 10% discount on shoes at a local running store. They hosted a free-for-members 10 mile run today, but I contacted the Race Director (guy in charge) to see if I could run only 5 or 6 miles of it. He said yes so I showed up expecting to run 6 at the most. Well, I zoned and missed the turn for the short cut back to the finish, and I ended up running 10 whole miles (yes, you read that right...10, dos, TEN miles!) I'm pretty proud of myself. My goal was to maintain an even 10 min/mile pace for 6 miles, and I did. I pretty much fell apart miles 7-9, but I brought it home for mile 10.


I plan to take it easy Sunday and Monday and then hit the road again on Tuesday, but I'll listen to my legs. If they ask for another day off, I'll let them take it. :)


Nutritional goals:

I did drink more water but not as much as I need to. I also ate way fewer chips. Sadly, they were replaced with little chocolate bars that I was supposed to have for my literature students on Friday. Since I ate almost half the bag I needed to get more for them. This bag had Almond Joy bars in it (double yum!). So I sent the leftover candy home with one of the students to bring back to class since I'm teaching the next two weeks as well. No candy allowed in my house. Momma has NO self control! :)

I'm also starting to experiment with refueling (eating) while running longer distances. I need something pretty easy to munch down that doesn't upset my wimpy stomach. I tried 2 pieces of orange slice candy on the treadmill but my stomach was not happy with that so I'll need to try something else.

So that's my week! Head over to Denise's to see what the other Fit Mommies are doing!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Gee whiz, Tracy! This is incredible!!! I'm so impressed! I can't run 3 blocks much less 3 miles. But on the plus side, I think you've just given me a new aspiration! ;)

Keep up the great work! See you next week!

*~*~* Tracy said...

Denise, I could barely run 3 blocks when I started. If I can do it, so can you! :)

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start" John Bingham

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails