You must do the things you think you cannot do.
~
Eleanor Roosevelt

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Making Lemonade

Being a grown up sometimes means making choices I'd rather not make, sacrificing for someone else's benefit or just sucking it up and dealing. Making lemonade out of life's lemons.

My goal last year was the Frederick Half Marathon - it's local, flat and was relatively inexpensive. My IT band had other ideas so I was a spectator instead of a runner.

This year I again set the Frederick Half as one of my goals. Late last week Bill and I were talking about the races I'd like to do when it became clear that financially I need to make some adjustments to my plans.

Goodbye to the Frederick Half Marathon.
Hello to the Harpers Ferry Half a week later.

Goodbye to flat, fast and running with a dozen or so friends.
Hello to 1000 ft elevation gain, trails and running with none of my friends.


It stinks. I'm disappointed. I'm very tired of this 'season of life' we're in. We have specific financial goals that we're working towards and are making progess which is good. I'm just feeling impatient for the day we have a little more wiggle room in our budget.

I am renewing my running club membership. I was on the fence because I wasn't sure I'd reap any benefit from it, but I've made some connections on a couple of the group runs I've been on and realize that I miss the sense of community a club offers.

I'm also beginning to see the Harpers Ferry race as a challenge to met and conquered. Their website warns  that you shouldn't expect a PR
BUT
I'm 10-12 pounds lighter, stronger and running with better form.
SO
I've decided that yes, I'd like a PR please.

My half PR is 2:27:29, Freedoms Run, in Oct 2010. I have until May 12th to train, and it's time to get busy.

1 comment:

misszippy said...

Yeah, I don't think anything around your area can be classified as easy! But it sounds to me like you are in shape to conquer it. Go for it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails