You must do the things you think you cannot do.
~
Eleanor Roosevelt

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Wednesday's Words

Green Light

My little man got the OK from his ortho to resume normal activities. His compression fracture did not further compress which means it's healing as it should. We go back in 5 months to make sure the bone is 'reconstituting' as it should.
The complete healing process can take 6-12 months for a compression fracture of the vertebrae. Who knew? Thankfully he did this when he was 5 and not 25. It would have been a whole 'nother story otherwise.

Red Light
My new ortho said - the MRI shows multiple micro fractures in my second metatarsel. It should take 12-16 weeks to heal. No running until there's no pain, and he recommended swimming and pool running in the meantime.  I can bike as long as it doesn't hurt so I'll have to fiddle a little with my foot placement to be sure I'm not putting any pressure on the ball of my foot.

He also said that as an 'aging athlete' it will take me longer to heal than it would have 20 years ago so don't push it and try to run before it heals or I'll be in much worse shape than I am now- like surgery. 

He and his wife are triathletes and he believes a late September sprint tri is completely possible. Happiness. Now to find a pool to run in...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails