You must do the things you think you cannot do.
~
Eleanor Roosevelt

Saturday, November 14, 2009

FIAR Lapbook for Lentil

Try not to gasp too loudly, but I had never heard of Five In A Row until this year. It's crazy, I know! But in my defense, I didn't start homeschooling Jake until he was in 6th grade, and Hank is only in 2nd grade so the elementary years are still a bit new to me.

Our Wednesday morning co-op is broken down as preK-1st, 2nd-3rd, and then 4th-5th. The big kids meet at a different house, and they are ~6th-8th and ~9th-12th graders.

Ok, back to FIAR. For the preK/1's, we decided to use FIAR because the literature is more their speed than TOG. Four families are represented in the class so each mom will plan one unit or 9 weeks. Easy peasy lemon squeezy - for you anyway. :)

I was so very grateful to find Homeschool Share. I would have been lost without this website. They were so kind to make a special section devoted to FIAR lapbooks. I know they did it just for me because they're just that nice. :)

So below is my lapbook, or folder book for you purists, for Lentil. We only two hours, one day a week so it can't be too involved. Plus 2 of the kids (my darling Shane being one of them) are only 3 and can't read at all or write very well. I got most everything from either Homeschool Share, ABC Teach or Enchanted Learning.

Here's the front cover, a lemon fact sheet
Next we have an American flag for the kids to color. We talked about the symbolism of the stars and stripes (50 stars/50 states, 13 stripes/13 original colonies).

For the patriotism matchbook we talked about what it means to be patriotic, and the kids wrote why they love America.

Next we talked about gifts and talents remembering that Lentil didn't think he had any special talents until they needed him to play his harmonica. We had the kids each write a special gift or talent they have.



In the tastebuds book we had them draw a picture of a food for each taste - sweet, salty, bitter and sour.

And they sang "She'll be coming round the mountain when she comes"
Very simple and very fun.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails