You must do the things you think you cannot do.
~
Eleanor Roosevelt

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Content?

I love spring for the most part. What I don't like is that when I see flowers blooming, birds flying, and the deer running, I start feeling restless. I don't like to be cold so we spend a lot of time indoors in the winter. Spring comes, and I'm ready to burst with energy.

I want to landscape my yard, ride my bike, clean every room in the house(and completely re-organize them), take car trips, you name it. This tempts me to some serious frustration. We have to finish homeschool and we're way behind because of some very tough classes this year. Shane is still quite challenging during the day and he still doesn't sleep very well at night. Oh, and I still have to cook dinner and do the laundry - my least favorite tasks. Of course there's the issue of time. As a mom with young kids, I can only do so much during my alloted 24 hours each day. sigh...What's a girl to do??

So I stumbled across this gem by E.B. Pusey:
"If we wished to gain contentment, we might try such rules as these:
1) Allow thyself to complain of nothing, not even the weather;
2) Never picture thyself to thyself under any circumstances in which thou art not;
3) Never compare thine own lot with that of another;
4) Never allow thyself to dwell on the wish that this or that had been, or were, otherwise than it was, or is. God Almighty loves thee better and more wisely than thou dost thyself;
5) Never dwell on the morrow. Remember that it is God's, not thine. The heaviest part of sorrow often is to look forward to it. `The Lord will provide.'"

I don't recall the exact verse, but Psalm 16 tells me that 'the boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places' and 'surely I have a delightful inheiritance.' This is where I am for this season of my life, and I need to enjoy it and be grateful for all that God has for me right here, right now.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails