You must do the things you think you cannot do.
~
Eleanor Roosevelt

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Fieldtrip to the Walters Museum in Baltimore

You may be wondering if we fell off a cliff or have hidden ourselves under a rock, and I'm happy to let you know that neither is the case. We've been so busy with the stuff of life that blogging couldn't be a priority.

Today we made time for a super fun field trip to the Walters Art Museum in Baltimore. Thankfully Bill was home today so I had just Ella and Hank (not thankful that he was sick, but very thankful he could wrangle Shane so I didn't have to). Some friends of ours were able to come along too which made for even more fun!

I love going new places and seeing new things, but I am definitely a country mouse when it comes to finding my way in urban areas. I'm not a huge fan of driving in Baltimore  but that's probably because I don't go there often enough to appreciate all that it has to offer. We left early enough to get lost, find our way again and hit the bathroom before class started without having to rush or panic. Off to a good start.

We signed the kids up for a homeschool workshop with lessons and activities about ancient Egypt which ties in very nicely with their history studies. Ella was over the moon excited; Hank, on the other hand, would have been happier getting a root canal or having his fingernails removed. But I paid my 8 bucks so he was going to class if I had to sit on him in his chair.

If you haven't been to the Walters, you really should make a point of going. First off, it's FREE. Parking was pretty easy to find and only $7 which isn't bad considering it's $15-20 in DC.  And even better is that they have some super cool exhibits. I wish I had taken more pictures, but the kids were zipping around from one thing to the next.

Below is a mosaic map of the ancient world. This picture doesn't even begin to do it justice. It was really gorgeous - if you can call a map gorgeous. Well, I'm a geek and I like maps, so yes, I will call it gorgeous.


Another major plus is that everyone we encountered was very nice. Ella reached up to touch a marble relief and the guard was really nice as he reminded the kids they couldn't touch the art. They have exhibits of all sorts... early Americas, ancient cultures, African and Asian art, and medieval art just to name a few.


The class was 2 1/2 hours. Happiness! So my friend and I leisurely toured the gift shop and then split a sandwich in the cafe. To eat a 'grown up' sandwich (roasted veggies with buffalo mozzarella) and chat with a good friend without interruption...aaaah! Yes, the whole trip was worth it just to enjoy that.

The kids used gold paint and what looks like charcoal to write their name in hierglyphics on papyrus. Again, Ella was thrilled beyond words and Hank was ready to get outta there.

This was an A++ fieldtrip and we'll definitely sign up for more workshops in the future and hopefully visit it on a weekend as a family.

1 comment:

KovasP said...

Love going to the museum but I always feel like I saw too much and missed even more. The Walters looks great and yes, maps are often gorgeous.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails