You must do the things you think you cannot do.
~
Eleanor Roosevelt

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Preparing for Easter

We're mixing things up a little this year for Easter. In the past, we've only done Resurrection Eggs and Tomb Cookies. And we're still doing those because I'd have a mutiny on my hands if we didn't.

This year, we're also learning two hymns- Up From the Grave He Arose! and Christ the Lord Is Risen Today. We have 3 out of the series of 4 hymn books written by Joni Earekson Tada and Bobbie Wolgemuth and I definitely recommend them for teaching kids hymns.

Each book contains stories about the origin of the hymn or a related Bible story as well as Bible verses and suggested prayers. Best of all they each come with a CD with music and lyrics.

Ella loves to sing so this is her favorite part of Circle Time in the mornings. The boys...well...it's character building for them.

I was torn between two different devotional ideas. I love what Anne V has done on her blog, but I was a little overwhelmed by the length of each devotional. I realize I can abbreviate them, but my brain just didn't compute that very well.

So then I thought maybe we'd do the Stations of the Cross. We aren't Catholic so I didn't really know what that all entailed. Once I started reading, I realized I could do my own Stations of the Cross. So I did. The first two are below. I started with the Triumphal Entry since that is the beginning of Holy Week.

And then we're going to have a Seder dinner Friday evening. I wanted to do this last year but we had so many other things going on that we didn't have time to plan it. We're going to keep it short and simple with license to expand it as the kids get older.

Jesus Enters Jerusalem
When they brought the colt to Jesus and threw their cloaks over it, he sat on it. Many people spread their cloaks on the road, while others spread branches they had cut in the fields. Those who went ahead and those who followed shouted, “Hosanna!” “Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!” “Blessed is the coming kingdom of our father David!” “Hosanna in the highest!” Jesus entered Jerusalem. Mark 11:7-11


Entry into Jerusalem , Second half of the 15th century, Master of the Thuison Altarpiece
Rejoice greatly, O Daughter of Zion! Shout, Daughter of Jerusalem! See, your king comes to you, righteous and having salvation, gentle and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey. Zechariah 9:9

The Last Supper
While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take it, this is my body.” Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, and they all drank from it. “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many,” he said to them. Mark 14:22-24

The Last Supper, Andrea del Sarto, 1520-25

While we wait for the blessed hope – the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good. Titus 2:13-14

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails