You must do the things you think you cannot do.
~
Eleanor Roosevelt

Friday, April 10, 2009

Jesus Refuses The Wine
There they offered Jesus wine to drink, mixed with gall; but after tasting it, he refused to drink it. Matthew 27:34


The Crucifixion, Lucas Cranach the Elder, 1500-1503

Jesus Is Crucified
Two other men, both criminals, were also led out with him to be executed. …One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Christ? Save yourself and us!” But the other criminal rebuked him.

“Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.” Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” Jesus answered him, “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.”

It was now about the sixth hour, and darkness came over the whole land until the ninth hour, for the sun stopped shining. And the curtain of the temple was torn int two. Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." When he had said this, he breathed his last. Luke 24: 32, 39-46


The Crucifixion, Giotto di Bondone

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galations 2:20

The Rending Of The Veil
At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook and the rocks split. Matthew 27:51


The Rending of the Veil, William Bell Scott, 1869

We have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus. Hebrews 10:19


Confession Of The Centurion
When the centurion and those with him who were guarding Jesus saw the earthquake and all that had happened, they were terrified, and exclaimed, “Surely he was the son of God!” Matthew 27:54

The Confession of the Centurion, James Tissot, 1886-94

That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord Philippians 2:11

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails