You must do the things you think you cannot do.
~
Eleanor Roosevelt

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

World War II Memorial

My Grandfather is a 3 war vet; the first being WWII. My grandparents live in Texas and haven't been able to come up to see the new WWII memorial so I was happy that we had a chance today to stop by and take some pictures for him.

It is a really big memorial with 3 (4?) fountains, pretty sculptures and a wall with 1 star for each soldier who died. Jake told me he read there were 400,000 stars on it. Very sobering.














I called my mom to see what state Grandpa was deployed from. She couldn't remember if it ws NY or KY so I took pictures of both.




There's a bridge between the reflecting pool in front of the Lincoln Memorial and the WWII Memorial. We stood on it - look one way and you see the Washington Monument

The other way is the Lincoln Memorial



Our next stop was the newly re-opened Americal History museum. It seemed everyone else had the same idea. There were lines to get into the different wings of the museum - not exhibits, but the actual wing. Needless to say, we didn't stay! We'll take advantage of our flexible homeschooler schedule and go back when everyone else is at work or school. [smirk]

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails